What Is Medicare Advantage?
Medicare Advantage plans, also known as Medicare Part C, are medical insurance plans administered by private insurance companies. Medicare Advantage (MA) plans are paid a sum of money for each enrollee by the federal government. In turn, the insurance company pays for the cost of care and provides benefits based on rules set by the government.
Medicare Advantage EligibilityTo be eligible for Medicare Advantage (MA) insurance, you must be:
- Enrolled in Medicare Parts A & B (Original Medicare)
- Live within the Plan’s Service Area
Common Types of MA PlansCommon types of Medicare Advantage plans include:
- Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO)In most HMOs, you must see in-network providers to receive coverage, unless you require emergency medical treatment.
- Preferred Provider Organizations (PPO)In a PPO you can see any provider, but you generally pay more when seeing out-of-network providers.
- Private-Fee-For-Service (PFFS)Most PFFS plans have provider networks. You may pay less for your care when using in-network providers or facilities. All PFFS plans also must cover out-of-network care, but you may pay a higher cost.
- Special Needs Plans (SNP)SNPs are designed to meet specific care needs, and you can only join a SNP if you fit the special needs category the plan serves. SNPs may provide care and coverage coordination services not offered by other types of Medicare Advantage Plan.
- Dual Special Needs Plans (DSNP) DSNPs are designed for Medicare beneficiaries who also qualify for Medicaid. In order for services to be covered under the plan, the provider must accept both Medicare and Medicaid. DSNPs may have either a PPO or HMO network.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Medicare Advantage Include Dental Or Vision Coverage?
When can I change Medicare Advantage plans?
Trusted By Our Clients
"From our first meeting to the last, our representative was professional, knowledgeable, patient, and quick to respond to our texts, emails, and phone calls!! Nothing but glowing things to say about him and Buffer Benefits!"
“My husband and I came to see Buffer Benefits regarding our future plans, specifically Medicare. Our representative took time with us to fully explain everything to our satisfaction and offered very knowledgeable suggestions. We loved his pleasant demeanor and candor, especially his sense of humor. The offices were beautifully decorated so warm and homey and we had a great experience there all around. Thanks so much for your help Buffer! “
“I received excellent and very personal help in making all my insurance decisions. I highly recommend Sean Turner and this group, They are there to serve and help any way they can.“